Friday, March 11, 2011

how to reconfig HuaWei (SingTel) wireless dongle

Last PC show or CITEX, I met this guy
and he explain about why so wifi tablet not able to use USB 3G dongle

Simply because those dongle when plug in will be recognize as harddisk
rather than modem

This clearly explain why some HuaWei modem stick will work and some dun

This time I met the maybe the same guy again at IT Show
even thought this time there are no other China or India ShanZai hp vendor
Abiko still bring in four models of ShanZai tablet
one of which will on clear ICA custom by today

He share again on this concept and show me online

With the hint, I do a search and found
http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/executing+AT-commands+under+Windows

I am going to try on my dongle to see if it can be reconfigured
as most important I try on Viewpad 7 with the unconfigured dongle
and it is fails
so I going to prepare before I test on Sunday before I purchase

If not I would have to purchase the ShanZai tablet Freescale A8 instead

Daniel is also using a HTC Hero where he jail break to 2.2 and even 2.3
He show me that he overclock it too

I believe that vendor like viewsonic or Palladine should employ this kind of people
(there is rumor in the Net that saying Palladine buy off selve ShanZai tablet
and brand it under its name and so does not support further)
It is the value added service that differentiate for a ignorant company

As an example, this is so simple

I download PUTTY and figured out the com8 that being used
Just connect via Singtel Broadband on Mobile software that store in the HuaWei E180 CD flash memory
and follow the instruction inside

Then REMEMBER you have to disconnect Singtel broadband
Start Run D:\temp\download\putty.exe
Follow the instruction to select to COM8
At the blank DOS screen type ATZ
if there is OK response
try ATI
or other like in http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/common+AT-commands

But just Lastly do the following for this model
AT^U2DIAG=0
OK
(check out http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+AT-commands)

Safety Remove Hardware DRIVE that is for HuaWei
If dun understand just reboot and remove the dongle

The PC will recognize the HuaWei again with new configuration
(This will be explain later)

Then after that re-insert
Then open explorer and you will not find the CD Drive for HuaWei anymore

Now the HuaWei will start up as a modem and PC UI interface (UI)
and no more NAND-flashmemory drive (CD)


This is the configuration that will be work for E180
This blog can end here, the following is just further discussion




I double confirm by going through the process
On my PC, the new configuration is using COM24
then I try 
AT^U2DIAG=1
Which turn on modem and CD
In the window explorer I can see the singtel CD drive on HuaWei again
So this confirm

n=0 is seem that best configuration for me now

I can use the re-configured E180 to test on viewsonic and A8 and palladine on Sunday !!

1 comment:

  1. Hi your post is alittle too technical for me to understand.

    I have a situation here which i hope you can assist in.

    I have a mobile broadband dongle from Singtel. But the plan has already ended. And currently, i got a free M1 SIM card for data but without dongle.

    I would like to ask you on how do i "unlock" the dongle so that i can use it for my M1 SIM card.

    Hope you can reply me ya.

    ade_touya@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete